We're all familiar with what missing a friend or family member feels like. But do you ever miss someone you've never met before? I occasionally miss my uncle who died 5 days before I was born. I miss my baby brother who died at birth. When I was single, I missed my unknown "special someone", (though it turns out I had already met him, and just didn't know he was the one yet!). I miss the nieces and nephews on his side that I haven't had the opportunity to meet yet.
And I miss the child/children I have yet to have.
It's an odd feeling, missing someone you don't even know. Some people would say you can't really miss someone you've never been around - that it's just a desire to know them. In a way they're right. But it feels pretty much the same. There's a hole in your life, that only that person can fill. With the people who I just haven't had the opportunity to meet yet, I am confident I will meet them and just hope it's sooner rather than later. With those who died before I met them, it's not the same, because I won't ever even have the chance to (until Heaven).
But for those who are yet to be formed... that's an even different feeling. It's more of a hope.
A hope that one day this hole in my heart will be filled with a mother's love. That the quiet in my life will be loud with the sound of laughter. That my empty arms will know messy little hugs.
What about you? Have you ever missed someone you've never met?
-MNM
No comments:
Post a Comment