Pages

Monday, April 20, 2015

You Are Not Alone

    Did you know that 1 in 8 couples will experience infertility?  That's an alarmingly high number. Yet, when you're going through it, you feel so alone.
The theme for this years National Infertility Awareness Week is You Are Not Alone.  When I first started to get an inkling that having kids wasn't going to be as easy as I thought, I didn't know of anyone in my generation who had any trouble. I didn't have anyone to talk to that would truly understand what I was going through.  As I started paying more attention to those around me, I started to realize how many of them were also dealing with this.  And as I became more vocal about my own infertility, numerous other people would open up to me about how they were going through the same journey.  It was so many.  Each time I heard of someone else going through the same thing I was, my heart would break a little for them, because I don't want anyone to have to suffer this way.  But I also was encouraged, because I knew I wasn't alone.  Here were other women who knew what I was going through.  Sure, we all had slightly different stories, but we all longed to have a baby, and none of us were able to.
    I now have a community of people who know what I'm going through, and I can turn to them, simply in tears sometimes, and they will understand.  They know what to say and what not to say.  They know the pain that I can't put in to words. They just know.  And I know that I am not alone.
    I have also been blessed to receive the love ad support I have from those who may not be infertile, but simply love me and want me to know the desires of my heart.  I am so grateful that they are praying for me.  Some of them I know I can talk to about my infertility, without it being weird.  With others, there doesn't need to be any conversation.  I just know that they are there for me.

    To my infertile sisters - There are others around you who know your pain. And there are many who love and support you, even without knowing your pain.  If I personally can do anything at all for you, please reach out.  Especially those who may still be hiding their infertility.  It's such a lonely place.

But you (we) are not alone.

-MNM

No comments:

Post a Comment