Pages

Thursday, April 26, 2018

#NIAW2018



This post isn't for me.

    We've been on our journey to parenthood for 6+ years, and have been "public" with it for almost 5 years.   I've experienced the whole realm of emotions that comes with this journey. I've heard every stereotypical piece of advice. I've done tons of research, and tried all the herbs and oils. I've answered all the questions, and cried all. the. tears.  (I have not seen all the Dr's or taken all the medications. But I feel like I've experienced everything else that comes with being unable to conceive.)

    I'm not here to tell you how to interact with me. Or how to best support me. Don't get me wrong. I appreciate all of your support. I need all of your support.  Sometimes I desperately need it. 

    This post is on behalf of the ones who are on a similar journey, but maybe haven't been on it as long,  or maybe just haven't been public about it.

    That couple that's been married for a couple of years (or more)?  Don't automatically assume that they don't want kids, or aren't ready for kids. Those could very well be true, but don't assume it even if they tell you that's the case. They may just not be comfortable talking about it.

Or the couple that only has one child?  Don't assume that they want to be done, that one is enough for them. Secondary infertility is a very real thing, and I can only imagine that in some ways it's even more confusing than primary infertility.

     In some of the circles I grew up in (and still have some contact with), a couple might be looked down on for not having kids, or  even just not having "enough" kids. (This is where I am ashamed to confess that I have had similar thoughts in the past, and to the people I may have thought that about, I apologize).  Please, don't do that.   There's already too much shame that comes with a struggle to conceive, too many feelings that you've let everyone down.


    So what are some ways to support those who are walking the infertility journey?  That will be different for everyone, but a few of my thoughts are:
Be aware that going through infertility is a form of grief.  We grieve the loss of the dreams, and what we thought our life would be. Every month is a  cycle of grief.  We even grieve for the child who is not yet conceived. 
If the person walking this journey is not public about it, or didn't tell you specifically, it's probably best to silently support them.  Don't ask questions.  If the person is public with their journey, they likely don't have any problem talking about it, and don't mind questions.
Sometimes a simple "I'm thinking of you" is all that's needed.
Be careful giving advice or suggestions.  For one thing, we've probably already heard of and researched whatever you're telling us about (seriously, we research everything), but it can also seem insensitive. (This is not typically the case for me personally anymore.  Depending on the person it's coming from, I generally appreciate when people tell me about something they've heard or read, because it at the very least means they thought of me, but more than that, it means they want me to succeed!)

Those are ways to support those going through infertility.  But friends, just love people!  I was reminded this week that everyone has their own story.  And we very rarely know someone's whole story.   Be gentle with people. Be mindful of your comments.  And treat others the way you want to be treated! 


-MNM

No comments:

Post a Comment